Welcome! Thank you for your interest in joining Edmonton Suzuki Piano School.
Edmonton Suzuki Piano School exists to enhance the experience of students in learning piano, assist teachers in providing a welcome environment for teaching, and promoting successful learning in the Suzuki philosophy. ESPS is a registered not-for-profit society and charitable corporation that is governed by a Board of Directors. The Board of Directors contracts with teachers to provide a musical education for its members.
Getting Started with ESPS
- Observations: Our community of ESPS teachers welcome students for piano lessons into their home studios throughout Edmonton. You may contact any of our teachers to enquire about availability. If accepting new students, the teacher will arrange a time for you and your child to come and observe a lesson. Observations provide families with an excellent opportunity to learn more about the ESPS program and the Suzuki approach. Additionally, families will get to know the teacher and learn more about the expectations for teacher, parent and student. Before registering with ESPS and beginning lessons, parents and child are required to arrange 4 observations with an ESPS teacher.
2. Registration Fees: After you have chosen a teacher and completed observations, you’ll be provided with a registration package. Once that’s completed, you can begin lessons. There are two fees: ESPS membership fees for a beginner student in 2017/18 are $295 ($125 beginner fee + $170 registration fee). A yearly tuition fee of $1100 is payable directly to the teacher. There are several payment options for this fee, including monthly post-dated cheques. Families are also asked to provide a $100 volunteer commitment cheque, which is returned after families complete their volunteer task for the year. ESPS does offer year-round enrolment, and the individual lesson rates will be adjusted to reflect a reduced lesson schedule.
The ESPS fee covers 9 hours of group lessons, parent workshop, 2 recitals per year for each student, one copy per family of each Suzuki book and CD, graduation concerts, and a yearly group concert. Fees also subsidize the cost of special events like our Fall Workshop and Spring Festival. The tuition fee to your teacher covers the cost of 38 30-minute individual lessons from September to June each year.
3. Parent Workshop: Parents are also required to attend a parent orientation workshop. The 3-hour workshop welcomes parents into the ESPS program, provides an introduction to the Suzuki philosophy, and looks at the first book of repertoire that you and your child will be learning. Finally, the workshop provides invaluable tips on developing effective practising skills as well as learning strategies for motivating students at home.
Please note that you will need an acoustic piano, not a digital keyboard.
Teachers currently accepting new students:
• Brad Heintzman (Mill Woods) Email: email@example.com; phone 780.465.4521
• Gail Olmstead (King Edward Park) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; 780.435.6453
• Heather Hindman (Lendrum) Email: email@example.com
• Hillary Paul (Spruce Grove) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 587.985.5518
• Regine Maier (Capilano/Stadium) E-mail: email@example.com; phone: 780.471.5170
• Tim Eckert (NAIT) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org